Sunday, June 3, 2007

My Spirit Animal

If you asked me as a child what animal I would be if I could be any animal... my usual response would be something like a tiger or a monkey. I never really felt a connection with these animals, I just thought they were furry and cute.

Then one day last summer it hit me.

Tim has tagged it for years...
if I get *super* excited over something (I mean squeaky-voice, fast-talking, scampering-around excited!), Tim has been known to "chiku!" at me. For a while I paid no attention. Then one day...I asked. It was his impersonation of my spirit animal.

A raccoon? A chipmunk? A hamster?
I knew it wasn't a meerkat, because my spirit animal *would not* spend all day digging in the dirt!

No... it was a squirrel. A rodent. I was slightly offended.

Around the same I was reading Teach with Your Strengths by Rosanne Liesveld and Jo Ann Miller (a *great* book...obviously geared for teachers...but it could be enjoyed by anyone who wants to utilize their personal strengths and natural talents in life/work!)

They encourage you to analyze your top 5 innate strengths and learn how to further integrate those into your daily life. My personality evaluation came back with the top 5 strengths being (in this order): Input, Harmony, Learner, Intellection, Relator.

Self-Analysis...

  • Input - I like input! I like to collect it, gather it, organize it, keep it, and have access to it. I thrive on input! My philosophy for years and years has been ~ if I know where to get the information then I don't need to *know* the information. I live by this.
  • Harmony/Relator - If you know me, this is no surprise. I am, after all, a middle-child. I try to live in harmony...with myself, others, the world, and the universe. I like passion, but I am uncomfortable by hostility and conflict.
  • Learner/Intellection - I like to think I'm continually learning and bettering myself. I try anyway. I'm very interested in learning about learning...the brain!!
Ok...so I agree that I'm all of those things. But a squirrel?!? Was I ready to admit I was a squirrel?

Well, I'm long and lean. So is a squirrel.
I like to hoard. So does a squirrel.
I make "nests." As do squirrels.
Squirrels are clever. Do I even need to say it?
Squirrels are planners. I live by my calendar.
Squirrels are feisty foragers. I can be pretty *feisty.*
Squirrels do not usually eat much meat. I'm a vegetarian.
I'm *a little* chirpy when I get excited, I admit.

Hmm....maybe squirrels aren't so nutty.

"Emily," I said, "you are absolutely, without a doubt, a squirrel!"
A self-portrait.

Tim is an owl. Other owls know. They single Tim out in crowds of people and stare directly at him...doing the whole head-bob and all. It's as if they're saying, "Hello, friend. Why do you look so funny? Where are your feathers and wings?"

I think Tim's spirit animal would eat my spirit animal. Is that bad?

Hey... we may not be the top of the food chain, but we're survivors! What's your spirit animal?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails